Long Island News
Man dies after being tasered by police at Long Island group home
MIDDLE ISLAND (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating the death of an emotionally-disturbed man who died after police shocked him with a taser at a group home on Long Island late Wednesday.
Officers were called to Maryhaven Center of Hope, located at 222 Currans Road in Middle Island, around 9 p.m. after a resident became uncontrollable and violent.
Maryhaven employees requested the resident, 29-year-old Dainell Simmons, be transported to Stony Brook University Hospital for a psychiatric emergency.
Simmons reportedly fought with the officers, who made the decision to use the taser and pepper spray on him.
During the struggle, Simmons became unresponsive. He was transported to John T. Mather Memorial Hospital in Port Jefferson, where he died.
Lieutenant Jack Fitzpatrick told reporters Thursday that Simmons was acting "violent and uncontrollably" and that the decision to use a Taser appeared appropriate under the circumstances.
Multiple police officers were treated and released from various hospitals for injuries sustained during the struggle.
Simmons, who was 5'10" and 240 pounds, was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's office, where an autopsy will be performed.
Homicide investigators were at the scene for more than six hours trying to get information on what happened, and nearby streets were closed off during the investigation.
This is the first incident reported at the group home, and neighbors say they've never seen police called there before.
long island, middle island, taser, long island news
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 7 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 6 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
5 min ago