Long Island News
Man dies after being tasered by police at Long Island group home
MIDDLE ISLAND (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating the death of an emotionally-disturbed man who died after police shocked him with a taser at a group home on Long Island late Wednesday.
Officers were called to Maryhaven Center of Hope, located at 222 Currans Road in Middle Island, around 9 p.m. after a resident became uncontrollable and violent.
Maryhaven employees requested the resident, 29-year-old Dainell Simmons, be transported to Stony Brook University Hospital for a psychiatric emergency.
Simmons reportedly fought with the officers, who made the decision to use the taser and pepper spray on him.
During the struggle, Simmons became unresponsive. He was transported to John T. Mather Memorial Hospital in Port Jefferson, where he died.
Lieutenant Jack Fitzpatrick told reporters Thursday that Simmons was acting "violent and uncontrollably" and that the decision to use a Taser appeared appropriate under the circumstances.
Multiple police officers were treated and released from various hospitals for injuries sustained during the struggle.
Simmons, who was 5'10" and 240 pounds, was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's office, where an autopsy will be performed.
Homicide investigators were at the scene for more than six hours trying to get information on what happened, and nearby streets were closed off during the investigation.
This is the first incident reported at the group home, and neighbors say they've never seen police called there before.
long island, middle island, taser, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 8 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 25 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash 3 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon 2 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
25 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
8 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
2 min ago