Long Island News
Man dies after being tasered by police at Long Island group home
MIDDLE ISLAND (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating the death of an emotionally-disturbed man who died after police shocked him with a taser at a group home on Long Island late Wednesday.
Officers were called to Maryhaven Center of Hope, located at 222 Currans Road in Middle Island, around 9 p.m. after a resident became uncontrollable and violent.
Maryhaven employees requested the resident, 29-year-old Dainell Simmons, be transported to Stony Brook University Hospital for a psychiatric emergency.
Simmons reportedly fought with the officers, who made the decision to use the taser and pepper spray on him.
During the struggle, Simmons became unresponsive. He was transported to John T. Mather Memorial Hospital in Port Jefferson, where he died.
Lieutenant Jack Fitzpatrick told reporters Thursday that Simmons was acting "violent and uncontrollably" and that the decision to use a Taser appeared appropriate under the circumstances.
Multiple police officers were treated and released from various hospitals for injuries sustained during the struggle.
Simmons, who was 5'10" and 240 pounds, was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner's office, where an autopsy will be performed.
Homicide investigators were at the scene for more than six hours trying to get information on what happened, and nearby streets were closed off during the investigation.
This is the first incident reported at the group home, and neighbors say they've never seen police called there before.
long island, middle island, taser, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos