Long Island News
Man found guilty in fatal hit and run
MINEOLA, N.Y. (WABC) -- A man was convicted in a deadly hit and run accident on Long Island.
He hit a well-known restaurant manager and left him to die on the side of the road.
There was a sigh of relief from Dean LaLima's parents.
They had a feeling of a weight lifted.
Eyewitness News was the only station there capturing the emotional moments.
A judge found Raymond Kalenka guilty of leaving LaLima for dead in the road nearly a year ago.
"Everyone needs to be punished to learn from right and wrong," said Janis LaLima, the victim's mother.
"Now I just hope that the judge throws the book at him. I know at the sentencing comes I will be there with hundreds of letters of people who knew him," said John LaLima, the victim's father.
It was last August when Kalenka ran over LaLima.
The 41-year-old was walking home from a late night on the job as a manager at Grimaldi's Pizzeria in Garden City.
Kalenka told the judge he thought he had hit a speed bump.
But the judge said Thursday he wasn't buying it.
"He's a good man, he has three children, it's going to have a big effect on his life. No matter what the prosecutors say, he does feel a great deal of sorrow for the LaLima family," said Brian Davis, Kalenka's defense attorney.
long island, hit and run accident, long island news, kristin thorne
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 6 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 47 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
6 min ago