Long Island News
Man found guilty in fatal hit and run
MINEOLA, N.Y. (WABC) -- A man was convicted in a deadly hit and run accident on Long Island.
He hit a well-known restaurant manager and left him to die on the side of the road.
There was a sigh of relief from Dean LaLima's parents.
They had a feeling of a weight lifted.
Eyewitness News was the only station there capturing the emotional moments.
A judge found Raymond Kalenka guilty of leaving LaLima for dead in the road nearly a year ago.
"Everyone needs to be punished to learn from right and wrong," said Janis LaLima, the victim's mother.
"Now I just hope that the judge throws the book at him. I know at the sentencing comes I will be there with hundreds of letters of people who knew him," said John LaLima, the victim's father.
It was last August when Kalenka ran over LaLima.
The 41-year-old was walking home from a late night on the job as a manager at Grimaldi's Pizzeria in Garden City.
Kalenka told the judge he thought he had hit a speed bump.
But the judge said Thursday he wasn't buying it.
"He's a good man, he has three children, it's going to have a big effect on his life. No matter what the prosecutors say, he does feel a great deal of sorrow for the LaLima family," said Brian Davis, Kalenka's defense attorney.
long island, hit and run accident, long island news, kristin thorne
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 48 min ago
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 58 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing Muslim girl 46 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos