Long Island News
Family of Hofstra student killed by police files claim
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- The family of a 21-year-old Hofstra University student accidentally killed by a police officer during a hostage crisis has filed a wrongful death claim against the Nassau County Police Department.
Investigators say Andrea Rebello, of Uniondale, died in May after an intruder put her in a headlock, then pointed a gun at an officer who had rushed into the home.
The officer fired eight times, killing both Rebello and would-be robber Dalton Smith.
Nassau County Attorney John Ciampoli told Newsday (http://bit.ly/1cl0ut5 ) his office would try to settle the case in a way that "attempts to end the pain and suffering, and start the healing."
The family also claimed that after the shooting, Rebello's sister, Jessica, was improperly detained for hours by police officers who "harassed, abused and humiliated" her.
long island, hofstra university, police shooting, long island news
- LIRR restored with delays after person struck 12 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 24 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 43 min ago
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 6 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 27 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures