Long Island News
Long Island man in custody after hours-long standoff with police
BALDWIN HARBOR (WABC) -- A Nassau County man is in custody after an hours-long stand off with police overnight Monday.
Neighbors say the man was shooting off fireworks outside his home in Baldwin Harbor around 10:30 p.m. Sunday.
When police got to his home, the man barricaded himself inside his toolshed.
Neighbors in surrounding homes were evacuated around 1 a.m. as a precaution.
Police were finally able to get the man out of the shed around 4:30 a.m.
Richard Erickson, 43, is charged with 10 countes of criminal possession of a weapon, menacing, obstruction and storing explosives.
Detectives obtained a search warrant for the residence and detached garage and recovered a unloaded Voltran Model 2004 ARAS compact .09-mm handgun with magazine, a switchblade knife with a 2-inch blade, a highpoint 9mm model C9, a Smith and Wesson .38 caliber revolver, a defaced Lorcin .380 semi-automatic handgun and several magazines and ammunition.
long island, baldwin, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 19 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- US deploys 600 troops to Ukraine border nations
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens 16 min ago
- Jet stowaway spent hours undetected before flight 55 min ago
- NYC among 15 cities being considered for 2016 DNC 36 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos