Long Island News
Dog killed after attacking police officer in Suffolk County
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (WABC) -- A police officer in Suffolk County is recovering after shooting and killing a dog that attacked him.
The officer responded to a call about a loose dog growling at people near a car wash in Brentwood Tuesday afternoon.
A witness managed to calm the dog down with food.
But when the officer tried to read the dog's tag, it bit him.
The officer shot the dog, but it got back up and attacked him again.
A second shot killed the dog.
Police don't have the owner's information or the breed.
long island, brentwood, dog attack, dog, long island news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- Dealing with bitter blast with no heat
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
24 min ago