Long Island News
Hempstead man charged after baby left in car dies
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A Hempstead man is facing homicide charges after leaving his infant son in a car, and the baby died.
According to investigators, Devon A. Fenner, 25, had dropped off his girlfriend at work and returned home, but then realized later that he forgot to remove his infant son from inside a 2003 Toyota that was parked in front of his home.
Temperatures at the time, around 1:40 p.m., were in the mid-80s. Authorities say the temperature inside the car reached 119 degrees.
The victim, 7-month-old Dominick Fenner, was left in his car seat for approximately thirty minutes, authorities said.
His father called 911 for help when he discovered the baby was not breathing.
When emergency crews arrived on the scene, the baby was unconscious and unresponsive. They began CPR and rushed the baby to Mercy Medical Center.
The victim was pronounced at 2:27 p.m.
Devon Fenner is charged with criminal negligent homicide. His attorney says it was a tragic accident.
Fenner was released on bond.
long island, hempstead, baby, baby death, crime, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
50 min ago