Long Island News
Hempstead man charged after baby left in car dies
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A Hempstead man is facing homicide charges after leaving his infant son in a car, and the baby died.
According to investigators, Devon A. Fenner, 25, had dropped off his girlfriend at work and returned home, but then realized later that he forgot to remove his infant son from inside a 2003 Toyota that was parked in front of his home.
Temperatures at the time, around 1:40 p.m., were in the mid-80s. Authorities say the temperature inside the car reached 119 degrees.
The victim, 7-month-old Dominick Fenner, was left in his car seat for approximately thirty minutes, authorities said.
His father called 911 for help when he discovered the baby was not breathing.
When emergency crews arrived on the scene, the baby was unconscious and unresponsive. They began CPR and rushed the baby to Mercy Medical Center.
The victim was pronounced at 2:27 p.m.
Devon Fenner is charged with criminal negligent homicide. His attorney says it was a tragic accident.
Fenner was released on bond.
long island, hempstead, baby, baby death, crime, long island news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide