Long Island News
Hempstead man charged after baby left in car dies
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A Hempstead man is facing homicide charges after leaving his infant son in a car, and the baby died.
According to investigators, Devon A. Fenner, 25, had dropped off his girlfriend at work and returned home, but then realized later that he forgot to remove his infant son from inside a 2003 Toyota that was parked in front of his home.
Temperatures at the time, around 1:40 p.m., were in the mid-80s. Authorities say the temperature inside the car reached 119 degrees.
The victim, 7-month-old Dominick Fenner, was left in his car seat for approximately thirty minutes, authorities said.
His father called 911 for help when he discovered the baby was not breathing.
When emergency crews arrived on the scene, the baby was unconscious and unresponsive. They began CPR and rushed the baby to Mercy Medical Center.
The victim was pronounced at 2:27 p.m.
Devon Fenner is charged with criminal negligent homicide. His attorney says it was a tragic accident.
Fenner was released on bond.
long island, hempstead, baby, baby death, crime, long island news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 2 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 14 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage