Long Island News
Tombstones rise along the shore in Copiague
COPIAGUE (WABC) -- How did huge granite headstones end up on a rocky shoreline in Copiague? That's the question that residents are asking.
"First day I got here. I looked over and was like 'Look tombstones! Oh look, another tombstone.' And then four or five tombstones later I was getting more and more confused," Seaford resident Chris Blahoginis said.
Some of them are almost fully intact. They're too heavy for anyone to lift or for the water to carry in.
Chris Savino helped alert us about them.
"I just found it interesting that they were there," he said.
Well, so did we. We were able to decipher one name -- Andranik Grigorian. He died in 1986. We tracked his burial site to a cemetery in Queens.
The cemetery gave us a picture showing a new memorial at his grave site. They said a family member died in 2003 and wanted to be buried in the same place, requiring a new headstone.
But that still didn't answer the question how the tombstones ended up on Long Island.
We think we have solved the mystery. The town of Babylon says these headstones have been here for 3 years because it was 3 years ago when they realized they had to shore up this coastline. They went to local monument companies and asked them if they had any discarded headstones they could donate.
The town believes Superstorm Sandy washed away so much of this shoreline that now we can see them.
long island, copiague, long island news, kristin thorne
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 2 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 15 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 59 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 7 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 19 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos