Long Island News
Suspect charged in death of teen found on footbridge in Rockville Centre
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- An 18-year-old man has pleaded not guilty in the murder of a teenage woman found fatally stabbed by a footbridge in Rockville Center, Long Island.
18-year-old Maxwell Sherman of Long Beach was arraigned on second-degree murder charges Sunday in the death of Lauren Daverin.
The body of Daverin, also 18, was discovered around 10:00 p.m. on Thursday.
Sherman is being held without bail pending his next court appearance on Aug. 28.
Nassau County police would not say whether the Lynbrook woman knew her attacker or whether she was attacked at random.
On Sunday, Friends left candles, flowers notes on footbridge where Daverin's body was found.
"She was a really fun person and everyone loved to be around her. she always had fun. There was a never a boring time when you were around her," said her friend Samantha Maselli.
Friends of Daverin say she loved hanging out with her friends which is exactly what she was doing last night on this footbridge just over Merrick Road in Rockville Centre.
David Paiz had been hanging out with Daverin and a few other kids, two guys and a girl when he went to get something to eat.
When he returned about an hour later he found Daverin's body, naked and bloodied with her clothes lying next to her contorted body.
Eyewitness News tried to speak with her family but they asked us to leave them alone.
Her older sister posted a note to Daverin on a Facebook page set up to honor the teen.
"To my beautiful baby sister. I love you so much. Every part of my heart is broken and I cannot wait to meet you again in another life"
A friend told Newsday that Daverin was married to an Air Force airman stationed in Louisiana.
long island, rockville centre, body found, long island news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen