Long Island News
Man arrested for burning girlfriend's clothes in Hempstead
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A New York man has been arrested and charged with reckless endangerment after setting fire to a pile of his girlfriend's clothes.
Nassau County Police say Friday Ramell Cooper poured gasoline on the clothing in the driveway of a home, burning his 28-year-old girlfriend's apparel.
Firefighters responded to the Hempstead home and put out the fire. Police say they discovered the 32-year-old man hiding under an oil tank in the boiler room of the home.
He was charged with reckless endangerment and two counts of arson. Police say there were two women and a five-year-old child in the home during the incident but not one was injured.
Cooper was in custody Friday and unavailable for comment. He was due to be arraigned Saturday in First District Court.
long island, arson, hempstead, long island news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 49 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos