Long Island News
Wake Monday for teen found on Rockville Centre footbridge
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- A wake is was held Monday evening for a young woman found dead on Long Island last week.
Friends and family came together in Hicksville to remember 18-year-old Lauren Daverin.
The girl's partially nude body was discovered late Thursday night on the Mill Pond footbridge between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road in Rockville Centre.
Another 18-year-old, Maxwell Sherman, is accused of strangling Daverin.
Sherman, of Long Beach, is charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail.
On Sunday, friends left candles, flowers and notes on the footbridge where Daverin's body was found.
"She was a really fun person and everyone loved to be around her," friend Samantha Maselli said. "She always had fun. There was a never a boring time when you were around her."
Her older sister posted a note to Daverin on a Facebook page set up to honor the teen.
"To my beautiful baby sister," she wrote. "I love you so much. Every part of my heart is broken and I cannot wait to meet you again in another life."
long island, rockville centre, body found, long island news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance 34 min ago
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade