Long Island News
Hempstead shooting leaves 17-year-old boy dead
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy lying dead in the street.
The shooting happened just before 10 p.m. Wednesday on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead.
The victim, identified by family members as Dante Quinones, was apparently standing with a group of kids at the time. They scattered before officers arrived, sparking a search for witnesses and suspects.
The sound of the gunfire was first picked up by the town's Shot Spotter system. Then police received a flood of calls about shots being fired.
Quinones was rushed to Winthrop University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and trying to figure out the events that led to the shooting.
At this point, there are no arrests.
long island news, long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at N.J. shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Metro-North to require sleep apnea evaluation
- One dead, another rescued in Long Island fire
- Not so fast! Palcohol not approved by federal government
- Passengers step up to help elderly man in bus brawl
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- Brooklyn hit and run suspect identified by police
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos