Long Island News
Hempstead shooting leaves 17-year-old boy dead
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy lying dead in the street.
The shooting happened just before 10 p.m. Wednesday on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead.
The victim, identified by family members as Dante Quinones, was apparently standing with a group of kids at the time. They scattered before officers arrived, sparking a search for witnesses and suspects.
The sound of the gunfire was first picked up by the town's Shot Spotter system. Then police received a flood of calls about shots being fired.
Quinones was rushed to Winthrop University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and trying to figure out the events that led to the shooting.
At this point, there are no arrests.
long island news, long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 34 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 36 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 6 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
34 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
36 min ago