Long Island News
Hempstead shooting leaves 17-year-old boy dead
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy lying dead in the street.
The shooting happened just before 10 p.m. Wednesday on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead.
The victim, identified by family members as Dante Quinones, was apparently standing with a group of kids at the time. They scattered before officers arrived, sparking a search for witnesses and suspects.
The sound of the gunfire was first picked up by the town's Shot Spotter system. Then police received a flood of calls about shots being fired.
Quinones was rushed to Winthrop University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and trying to figure out the events that led to the shooting.
At this point, there are no arrests.
long island news, long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos