Long Island News
Hempstead shooting leaves 17-year-old boy dead
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy lying dead in the street.
The shooting happened just before 10 p.m. Wednesday on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead.
The victim, identified by family members as Dante Quinones, was apparently standing with a group of kids at the time. They scattered before officers arrived, sparking a search for witnesses and suspects.
The sound of the gunfire was first picked up by the town's Shot Spotter system. Then police received a flood of calls about shots being fired.
Quinones was rushed to Winthrop University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and trying to figure out the events that led to the shooting.
At this point, there are no arrests.
long island news, long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 54 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 36 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 34 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
12 min ago