Long Island News
Hempstead shooting leaves 17-year-old boy dead
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a shooting that left a 17-year-old boy lying dead in the street.
The shooting happened just before 10 p.m. Wednesday on Dartmouth Street in Hempstead.
The victim, identified by family members as Dante Quinones, was apparently standing with a group of kids at the time. They scattered before officers arrived, sparking a search for witnesses and suspects.
The sound of the gunfire was first picked up by the town's Shot Spotter system. Then police received a flood of calls about shots being fired.
Quinones was rushed to Winthrop University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police are still interviewing eyewitnesses and trying to figure out the events that led to the shooting.
At this point, there are no arrests.
long island news, long island, hempstead, shooting, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall