Long Island News
Jeep crashes into mini school bus carrying disabled children
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police charged a woman with driving while impaired by drugs after crashing a Jeep into mini school bus carrying disabled children on Long Island on Wednesday morning.
Investigators say Tyajia Anthony was driving a 1996 Jeep southbound on Connetquot Avenue when the vehicle crossed over the double yellow line and struck a Suffolk Transportation Service school bus head on.
The accident happened near the intersection with Ridge Avenue at approximately 8:05 a.m. Both vehicles then caught fire.
The bus was carrying two wheelchair-bound 4-year-old boys, two aides and the driver, to an AHRC school.
All five were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. The bus driver and two aides were treated for minor injuries. The children did not appear to be injured.
Anthony, 29, is charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. She will be arraigned on Thursday.
long island news, long island, central islip, drunk driving, school bus accident, long island news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos