Long Island News
Jeep crashes into mini school bus carrying disabled children
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- Police charged a woman with driving while impaired by drugs after crashing a Jeep into mini school bus carrying disabled children on Long Island on Wednesday morning.
Investigators say Tyajia Anthony was driving a 1996 Jeep southbound on Connetquot Avenue when the vehicle crossed over the double yellow line and struck a Suffolk Transportation Service school bus head on.
The accident happened near the intersection with Ridge Avenue at approximately 8:05 a.m. Both vehicles then caught fire.
The bus was carrying two wheelchair-bound 4-year-old boys, two aides and the driver, to an AHRC school.
All five were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. The bus driver and two aides were treated for minor injuries. The children did not appear to be injured.
Anthony, 29, is charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. She will be arraigned on Thursday.
long island news, long island, central islip, drunk driving, school bus accident, long island news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 29 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday