Long Island News
Long Island officers rescue fish hooked swan
WEST BABYLON (WABC) -- Marine Bureau officers came to the aid of a swan caught in a fish hook and net on Santapogue Creek on Suffolk County.
A 911 caller reported the swan had a fish hook stuck in its bill and a fishing line around its neck, prohibiting it from eating or defending itself.
When Police Officers Pete Conte and Rob Jenkins arrived at 8:40 a.m., the water was too shallow for their police boat.
A Good Samaritan, Gerry Robedee, allowed the officers to use his 14-foot Carolina Skiff boat to reach the swan.
Conte and Jenkins located the swan and removed the fishing line and hook from the bird's neck and mouth.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win