Long Island News
Long Island officers rescue fish hooked swan
WEST BABYLON (WABC) -- Marine Bureau officers came to the aid of a swan caught in a fish hook and net on Santapogue Creek on Suffolk County.
A 911 caller reported the swan had a fish hook stuck in its bill and a fishing line around its neck, prohibiting it from eating or defending itself.
When Police Officers Pete Conte and Rob Jenkins arrived at 8:40 a.m., the water was too shallow for their police boat.
A Good Samaritan, Gerry Robedee, allowed the officers to use his 14-foot Carolina Skiff boat to reach the swan.
Conte and Jenkins located the swan and removed the fishing line and hook from the bird's neck and mouth.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ