Long Island News
Nearly 800 snakes found in garage of Long Island home
SHIRLEY, New York (WABC) -- Close to 800 snakes were found inside the garage of a Shirley home on Long Island.
The snakes were found inside the Auborn Avenue home earlier Thursday afternoon.
The SPCA was called in today but there's really not much they can do.
"The building appears to be secure, it was clean, the animals appear to be in good health," said Roy Gross with the SPCA.
Town officials say Parinello has been selling the snakes online.
The license plates on the cars outside his home speak to his trade.
The town of Brookhaven's deputy attorney says the only snakes Parinello has that are illegal were the Burmese pythons.
Everything else is legal and well cared for.
Operating the business though he says is against town code.
"If we need to take the next step to remove the snakes from the premises we will certainly do that unless he wants to come in and cooperate with," said David Moron.
The pythons were taken to a reptile sanctuary in Massachusetts. Parinello lives at home with his wife and 10-year-old son.
He didn't want to speak to media members.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 16 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 52 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 6 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25