Long Island News
Nearly 800 snakes found in garage of Long Island home
SHIRLEY, New York (WABC) -- Close to 800 snakes were found inside the garage of a Shirley home on Long Island.
The snakes were found inside the Auborn Avenue home earlier Thursday afternoon.
The SPCA was called in today but there's really not much they can do.
"The building appears to be secure, it was clean, the animals appear to be in good health," said Roy Gross with the SPCA.
Town officials say Parinello has been selling the snakes online.
The license plates on the cars outside his home speak to his trade.
The town of Brookhaven's deputy attorney says the only snakes Parinello has that are illegal were the Burmese pythons.
Everything else is legal and well cared for.
Operating the business though he says is against town code.
"If we need to take the next step to remove the snakes from the premises we will certainly do that unless he wants to come in and cooperate with," said David Moron.
The pythons were taken to a reptile sanctuary in Massachusetts. Parinello lives at home with his wife and 10-year-old son.
He didn't want to speak to media members.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos