Long Island News
6 arraigned in Hempstead courtroom brawl
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Six men were arraigned Saturday in connection with a wild courtroom brawl in Hempstead, Long Island.
The pushing and shoving began inside the courtroom hallway Friday morning and then spilled outside.
Two court officers were injured in the melee and taken to the hospital.
It happened during the arraignment of Pedro Merchant.
The 20-year-old is accused of shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones to death on a street in Hempstead last week.
Both families were in court Friday and apparently tempers flared.
Newsday reports that shortly after a judge remanded the suspect without bail, an outburst of support for him sparked the fighting. Two of those arrested also had to go to the hospital because they were injured during the brawl.
The six suspects have been charged with criminal contempt and riot.
long island news, long island, hempstead, long island news, kristin thorne
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos