Long Island News
6 arraigned in Hempstead courtroom brawl
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Six men were arraigned Saturday in connection with a wild courtroom brawl in Hempstead, Long Island.
The pushing and shoving began inside the courtroom hallway Friday morning and then spilled outside.
Two court officers were injured in the melee and taken to the hospital.
It happened during the arraignment of Pedro Merchant.
The 20-year-old is accused of shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones to death on a street in Hempstead last week.
Both families were in court Friday and apparently tempers flared.
Newsday reports that shortly after a judge remanded the suspect without bail, an outburst of support for him sparked the fighting. Two of those arrested also had to go to the hospital because they were injured during the brawl.
The six suspects have been charged with criminal contempt and riot.
long island news, long island, hempstead, long island news, kristin thorne
- Vietnam detects signals from Malaysia Airlines plane 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos