Long Island News
6 arraigned in Hempstead courtroom brawl
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Six men were arraigned Saturday in connection with a wild courtroom brawl in Hempstead, Long Island.
The pushing and shoving began inside the courtroom hallway Friday morning and then spilled outside.
Two court officers were injured in the melee and taken to the hospital.
It happened during the arraignment of Pedro Merchant.
The 20-year-old is accused of shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones to death on a street in Hempstead last week.
Both families were in court Friday and apparently tempers flared.
Newsday reports that shortly after a judge remanded the suspect without bail, an outburst of support for him sparked the fighting. Two of those arrested also had to go to the hospital because they were injured during the brawl.
The six suspects have been charged with criminal contempt and riot.
long island news, long island, hempstead, long island news, kristin thorne
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 29 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014