Long Island News
6 arraigned in Hempstead courtroom brawl
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Six men were arraigned Saturday in connection with a wild courtroom brawl in Hempstead, Long Island.
The pushing and shoving began inside the courtroom hallway Friday morning and then spilled outside.
Two court officers were injured in the melee and taken to the hospital.
It happened during the arraignment of Pedro Merchant.
The 20-year-old is accused of shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones to death on a street in Hempstead last week.
Both families were in court Friday and apparently tempers flared.
Newsday reports that shortly after a judge remanded the suspect without bail, an outburst of support for him sparked the fighting. Two of those arrested also had to go to the hospital because they were injured during the brawl.
The six suspects have been charged with criminal contempt and riot.
long island news, long island, hempstead, long island news, kristin thorne
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 18 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos