Long Island News
6 arraigned in Hempstead courtroom brawl
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- Six men were arraigned Saturday in connection with a wild courtroom brawl in Hempstead, Long Island.
The pushing and shoving began inside the courtroom hallway Friday morning and then spilled outside.
Two court officers were injured in the melee and taken to the hospital.
It happened during the arraignment of Pedro Merchant.
The 20-year-old is accused of shooting 17-year-old Dante Quinones to death on a street in Hempstead last week.
Both families were in court Friday and apparently tempers flared.
Newsday reports that shortly after a judge remanded the suspect without bail, an outburst of support for him sparked the fighting. Two of those arrested also had to go to the hospital because they were injured during the brawl.
The six suspects have been charged with criminal contempt and riot.
long island news, long island, hempstead, long island news, kristin thorne
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review 49 min ago
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion 57 min ago
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say 38 min ago
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million