Long Island News
Long Island man searching for new home for over 850 snakes
SHIRLEY, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island animal control officer found with more than 850 snakes at his home has been given until the end of the week to come up with a plan to remove them from his garage.
Brookhaven officials met Monday with the lawyer for Richard Parrinello, saying that if he does not come up with a plan, the town will seek judicial action to remove the reptiles.
The lawyer says his client is seeking a commercially zoned facility that can shelter the snakes.
Town attorney David Moran says Parrinello has shown a willingness to cooperate with town officials.
Authorities removed two 6-foot Burmese pythons from a garage at the home of the 44-year-old Parrinello last week.
Burmese pythons are illegal to own in New York state without a permit. Most of the other 800 snakes found on Parrinello's property are legal but town officials said he violated town codes by operating his reptile-sales business without a permit.
Town officials say Parinello has been selling the snakes online.
The license plates on the cars outside his home speak to his trade.
Moran says the only snakes Parinello has that are illegal were the Burmese pythons.
Everything else is legal and well cared for.
Operating the business though, he says, is against town code.
"If we need to take the next step to remove the snakes from the premises we will certainly do that unless he wants to come in and cooperate with," said Moran.
The pythons were taken to a reptile sanctuary in Massachusetts. Parinello lives at home with his wife and 10-year-old son.
He didn't want to speak to media members.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
long island news, long island, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run 28 min ago
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87 41 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall