Long Island News
Long Island man charged with church burglary
LINDENHURST, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island man has been arrested on charges of burglarizing a church donation box.
43-year old Leonard Degaetano of Lindenhurst is charged with Burglary 3rd Degree and Possession of Burglar's Tools. He was also charged with Burglary 3rd Degree for a previous theft in the church.
Suffolk County Police had set up surveillance at Our Lady of Perpetual Help R. C. Church on South Wellwood Ave., following several previous thefts involving cash from candle donation and poor boxes.
The suspect was allegedly seen on the surveillance video Friday night using a wire-like object as a hook to remove cash from the boxes. Police say he was disguising his identity by wearing a hood or surgical mask.
Officers who were in the church to monitor the video said they saw the suspect removing cash from the candle donation box and arrested Degaetano as he attempted to flee from the church at 9:10 p.m.
long island news, long island, burglary, long island news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow begins falling in New Jersey
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
43 min ago