Long Island News
Long Island man charged with church burglary
LINDENHURST, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island man has been arrested on charges of burglarizing a church donation box.
43-year old Leonard Degaetano of Lindenhurst is charged with Burglary 3rd Degree and Possession of Burglar's Tools. He was also charged with Burglary 3rd Degree for a previous theft in the church.
Suffolk County Police had set up surveillance at Our Lady of Perpetual Help R. C. Church on South Wellwood Ave., following several previous thefts involving cash from candle donation and poor boxes.
The suspect was allegedly seen on the surveillance video Friday night using a wire-like object as a hook to remove cash from the boxes. Police say he was disguising his identity by wearing a hood or surgical mask.
Officers who were in the church to monitor the video said they saw the suspect removing cash from the candle donation box and arrested Degaetano as he attempted to flee from the church at 9:10 p.m.
long island news, long island, burglary, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 37 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014