Long Island News
Long Island man charged with church burglary
LINDENHURST, N.Y. (WABC) -- A Long Island man has been arrested on charges of burglarizing a church donation box.
43-year old Leonard Degaetano of Lindenhurst is charged with Burglary 3rd Degree and Possession of Burglar's Tools. He was also charged with Burglary 3rd Degree for a previous theft in the church.
Suffolk County Police had set up surveillance at Our Lady of Perpetual Help R. C. Church on South Wellwood Ave., following several previous thefts involving cash from candle donation and poor boxes.
The suspect was allegedly seen on the surveillance video Friday night using a wire-like object as a hook to remove cash from the boxes. Police say he was disguising his identity by wearing a hood or surgical mask.
Officers who were in the church to monitor the video said they saw the suspect removing cash from the candle donation box and arrested Degaetano as he attempted to flee from the church at 9:10 p.m.
long island news, long island, burglary, long island news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 29 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 12 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
23 min ago