Long Island News
Ex-Stony Brook professor among the dead in Kenya mall attack
STONY BROOK -- One of the people confirmed dead in the militant attack on a shopping mall in Kenya had once been a writing instructor at Stony Brook University on Long Island.
Newsday reports that Ghanaian poet Kofi Awoonor taught creating writing and African literature at Stony Brook for six years in the 1970s.
Awoonor, a former ambassador to Brazil, Cuba and the United Nations, died after being wounded in the Sunday attack. Ghana's ministry of information said Awoonor's son was injured and is responding to treatment.
Arthur Dorbrin, co-founder of Amnesty International's Long Island chapter, told Newsday that Awoonor was in Nairobi to attend an annual festival of literature and the arts.
long island news, long island, stony brook university, stony brook, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 18 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos