Long Island News
Ex-Stony Brook professor among the dead in Kenya mall attack
STONY BROOK -- One of the people confirmed dead in the militant attack on a shopping mall in Kenya had once been a writing instructor at Stony Brook University on Long Island.
Newsday reports that Ghanaian poet Kofi Awoonor taught creating writing and African literature at Stony Brook for six years in the 1970s.
Awoonor, a former ambassador to Brazil, Cuba and the United Nations, died after being wounded in the Sunday attack. Ghana's ministry of information said Awoonor's son was injured and is responding to treatment.
Arthur Dorbrin, co-founder of Amnesty International's Long Island chapter, told Newsday that Awoonor was in Nairobi to attend an annual festival of literature and the arts.
long island news, long island, stony brook university, stony brook, long island news
- Missing plane may have turned back 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 50 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 3 min ago
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 9 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
27 min ago