Long Island News
Construction may have led to North Merrick fire
NORTH MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Construction work on a house may have sparked fire that destroyed a home on Long Island.
It happened on Sutton Place in North Merrick Tuesday afternoon.
The house was ravaged by fire over a few hours.
Roofers were working at the home at the time of the fire.
The intense fire burned very quickly and was burning in the basement as well as on the roof, and eventually devastated the entire home.
Investigators are trying to figure out where it started and why it started.
The homeowner was inside the house at the time of the fire and said that the roofer wanted to see something in the basement and see the breaker box.
She says she led him downstairs and saw the smoke.
"The minute I get in the stairway, I see smoke, all over! And I say, 'What is this?' You know, and I called the fire department and they came right away, but can they save the house? I don't think so," said Denise Reme, the homeowner.
"It's a big loss, everything is lost," Said Jean Reme, the homeowner.
They have lived in the home for 20 years, raised kids in the house, and survived Superstorm Sandy with hardly any problems. But now, their home is destroyed.
long island news, long island, fire, long island news, josh einiger
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks 47 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane 43 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 15 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Good Samaritans rescue woman from burning car
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos