Long Island News
Construction may have led to North Merrick fire
NORTH MERRICK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Construction work on a house may have sparked fire that destroyed a home on Long Island.
It happened on Sutton Place in North Merrick Tuesday afternoon.
The house was ravaged by fire over a few hours.
Roofers were working at the home at the time of the fire.
The intense fire burned very quickly and was burning in the basement as well as on the roof, and eventually devastated the entire home.
Investigators are trying to figure out where it started and why it started.
The homeowner was inside the house at the time of the fire and said that the roofer wanted to see something in the basement and see the breaker box.
She says she led him downstairs and saw the smoke.
"The minute I get in the stairway, I see smoke, all over! And I say, 'What is this?' You know, and I called the fire department and they came right away, but can they save the house? I don't think so," said Denise Reme, the homeowner.
"It's a big loss, everything is lost," Said Jean Reme, the homeowner.
They have lived in the home for 20 years, raised kids in the house, and survived Superstorm Sandy with hardly any problems. But now, their home is destroyed.
long island news, long island, fire, long island news, josh einiger
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 16 hurt 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 46 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25