Long Island News
Long Island footbridge death suspect due in court
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- The man who police say strangled a young woman and left her body on a Long Island footbridge is due in court Wednesday.
The partially nude body of 18-year-old Lauren Daverin was discovered last month on the Mill Pond footbridge between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road in Rockville Centre.
The suspect, 18-year-old Maxwell Sherman, has pleaded not guilty. His attorney has insisted he has a good defense and wants to go to trial.
The Long Beach man is charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail.
"She was a really fun person and everyone loved to be around her," friend Samantha Maselli said. "She always had fun. There was a never a boring time when you were around her."
Her older sister posted a note to Daverin on a Facebook page set up to honor the teen.
"To my beautiful baby sister," she wrote. "I love you so much. Every part of my heart is broken and I cannot wait to meet you again in another life."
Daverin was married to an Air Force airman stationed in Louisiana.
Sherman will be arraigned on a grand jury indictment in Nassau County.
long island news, rockville centre, body found, long island news
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Child, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 13 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos