Long Island News
Long Island footbridge death suspect due in court
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- The man who police say strangled a young woman and left her body on a Long Island footbridge is due in court Wednesday.
The partially nude body of 18-year-old Lauren Daverin was discovered last month on the Mill Pond footbridge between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road in Rockville Centre.
The suspect, 18-year-old Maxwell Sherman, has pleaded not guilty. His attorney has insisted he has a good defense and wants to go to trial.
The Long Beach man is charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail.
"She was a really fun person and everyone loved to be around her," friend Samantha Maselli said. "She always had fun. There was a never a boring time when you were around her."
Her older sister posted a note to Daverin on a Facebook page set up to honor the teen.
"To my beautiful baby sister," she wrote. "I love you so much. Every part of my heart is broken and I cannot wait to meet you again in another life."
Daverin was married to an Air Force airman stationed in Louisiana.
Sherman will be arraigned on a grand jury indictment in Nassau County.
long island news, rockville centre, body found, long island news
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 46 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos