Long Island News
Long Island footbridge death suspect due in court
ROCKVILLE CENTRE (WABC) -- The man who police say strangled a young woman and left her body on a Long Island footbridge is due in court Wednesday.
The partially nude body of 18-year-old Lauren Daverin was discovered last month on the Mill Pond footbridge between Sunrise Highway and Merrick Road in Rockville Centre.
The suspect, 18-year-old Maxwell Sherman, has pleaded not guilty. His attorney has insisted he has a good defense and wants to go to trial.
The Long Beach man is charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bail.
"She was a really fun person and everyone loved to be around her," friend Samantha Maselli said. "She always had fun. There was a never a boring time when you were around her."
Her older sister posted a note to Daverin on a Facebook page set up to honor the teen.
"To my beautiful baby sister," she wrote. "I love you so much. Every part of my heart is broken and I cannot wait to meet you again in another life."
Daverin was married to an Air Force airman stationed in Louisiana.
Sherman will be arraigned on a grand jury indictment in Nassau County.
long island news, rockville centre, body found, long island news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 13 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 34 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 16 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 25 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen