Long Island News
Westbury, Long Island accident leaves 2 dead
WESTBURY (WABC) -- Nassau County Police are investigating a double fatal accident on Old Country Road in Westbury.
Eyewitness News has learned a mother and her young son died in the accident. The father, who was driving the car survived.
"The father was calling for his wife and child and neither of them answered back," said eyewitness Philip Bogdos.
Nick Bogdos owns Majestic Diner, which sits almost directly across from where the Mitsubishi Galant veered off of Old Country Road just before noon on Sunday.
"This stays in my head for the rest of my life, never thought I would see something like this," said Nick.
Nick owns Majestic Diner, which sits almost directly across from where the Mitsubishi Galant veered off of Old Country Road just before noon on Sunday.
Nick's daughter, Christina Kanakis was behind the register in the diner, when she looked outside and saw the vehicle hit the tree.
"The car bounced up and bounced down to the right," said Christina.
Christina called 911 and Nick and Philip came to help. Eyewitnesses say the man was bleeding, but was alert and dazed. The woman, believed to be his wife, was sitting next to him.
"The dashboard came all the way inside and crushed his legs, and crushed the wife," added Nick.
Both men then focused on the little boy, who was strapped in his booster seat, sitting behind the driver.
"He was with his head down, for one second his head came up, raised his head and boom, he went down," said Nick.
It is moment that the family tells Eyewitness News will forever haunt them
"Considering I have two small children at home, six and twelve, it is hard to see," says Philip, "no parent should ever have to see this, it makes you want to run home and kiss your kids."
long island news, long island, nassau county news, accident, long island news, kemberly richardson
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 30 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 28 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 3 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos