Long Island News
Singer found dead in Long Island parking lot was murdered, police say
OYSTER BAY (WABC) -- Police say the death of 59-year old Saundra Simonee, an accomplished soprano found dead last Friday, is being considered a homicide.
Simonee's body had been dumped in a parking lot in a Bay Shore apartment complex. The performer lived on the North Shore in East Norwich.
It took Suffolk County Police several days to identify the victim. According to Simonee's own website, she modeled in her youth, sang all her life, and earned a PhD. Friends say she also taught cosmetology.
At St. Dominic's Roman Catholic church in Oyster Bay, Simonee's voice was one to remember as she filled the sanctuary every week with her gift.
Homicide investigators are still working to figure out who killed Simonee and why.
Eyewitness News is told the victim, a single mother and grandmother, was devoted to her family.
Police have not released the exact cause of death, but investigators say foul play was involved.
long island news, long island, oyster bay, bay shore, long island news, lucy yang
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
33 min ago