Long Island News
Long Island police investigating if robbery suspects behind spree
UNIONDALE (WABC) -- Nassau County police are working to determine if three robbery suspects are linked to a series of incidents in Uniondale and Hempstead.
Jonathan Chappell, Jamel Williams and Miriam Khalifah are charged with a robbery that happened on Monday.
Police say the 22-year-old Chappell threatened a man with a shotgun on Edgemere Avenue and Linwood Street in Hempstead and demanded the victim's cell phone.
He took off with the phone and cash and fled the scene in a 1996 Chevy Blazer occupied by the 28-year-old Williams and 31-year-old Khalifah.
Police say two of the suspects are linked to an attempted robbery two weeks ago in Uniondale and may be linked to as many as seven robberies with 12 victims since August 30.
Four of the victims were Hofstra students.
Police say the suspects target young people walking home at night between midnight and 4 a.m.
long island news, long island, uniondale, hempstead, robbery, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs 22 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
32 min ago