Long Island News
Homeless man arrested in 2 stabbings on Long Island
FREEPORT (WABC) -- A homeless man was arrested Wednesday morning in connection with a robbery and two stabbings on Long Island.
The incident happened just after 5:30 a.m. at in front of Laundry Place, located at Elks Plaza on West Merrick Road in Freeport.
According to detectives, 32-year-old Eddie Harris approached a 47-year-old man and stabbed him in the arm, chest and back before stealing his wallet and fleeing eastbound on Merrick Road in a vehicle.
Minutes later, the vehicle crashed into a tree and then bushes on Camp Avenue.
Police say Harris fled on foot and was located a short time later in the rear of Grand Avenue School.
He was placed under arrest at the scene without incident.
The victim was taken to an area hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.
Police say the investigation uncovered that Harris was also behind the stabbing of a 35-year-old man in front of his California Place South home in North Long Beach. That victim was stabbed in the stomach and taken to an area hospital for treatment to his injuries.
Harris is charged with assault, robbery, criminal possession of stolen property and criminal possession of a weapon.
long island news, long island, freeport, long beach, stabbing, assault, robbery, long island news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 5 min ago
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 55 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up 2 min ago
- First lawsuit filed in East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
5 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast...
2 min ago