Long Island News
North Amityville accident kills infant in stroller
NORTH AMITYVILLE, N.Y. (WABC) -- An accident in North Amityville Saturday night claimed the life of an infant in a stroller that was being pushed by her pregnant mother.
Police say 29-year old Yancy Arevalo was walking eastbound across Route 110 just south of Nathalie Avenue, pushing a stroller with her 10-month-old daughter, Britney Arevalo, inside when they were struck by a 1998 Chevrolet pickup truck heading north on Route 110 at about 7:00 p.m.
Arevalo and her child were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip where the infant died from her injuries early Sunday morning.
Arevalo suffered only minor injuries, but she is being held for observation because she is pregnant.
The driver of the pickup, Arthur Plowden, 46, of North Amityville was not injured. His vehicle was impounded for safety checks.
The investigation is continuing.
long island news, long island, north amityville, accident, long island news
- Fog blamed for long delays at area airports 26 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest 49 min ago
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Family demands answers in deadly police shooting 17 min ago
- Nigella Lawson again denies heavy drug use 49 min ago
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos