Long Island News
Deer Park man shot with knife shot by police
DEER PARK (WABC) -- Police in Deer Park, Long Island say they shot a man once after he threatened his father with a knife.
"The caller said that his 40-year-old son who has psychological issues and was not taking his medication had threatened to cut the fathers head off," said Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, of the Suffolk County Police Department.
That's what brought police to the apartment complex in Deer Park Wednesday morning.
"All the police men running that way, guys without uniforms even, and they had the bullet proof vests on, a lady with a bullet proof vest," said Maie Valma, a Deer Park resident.
"When police arrived they encountered a 40-year-old male outside of the apartment armed with a knife. A foot pursuit ensued throughout the apartment complex ending up within the apartment itself, and that's where the man was shot once in the chest by police," Fitzpatrick said.
It's unclear if the man lunged at police or threatened them with the knife.
No officers were injured.
"He's a good kid. He's handicapped. He doesn't know how to be bad. He knows how to throw out the garbage. He doesn't talk to anyone or nothing, unless you say hello to him," a neighbor said.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos