Long Island News
Deer Park man shot with knife shot by police
DEER PARK (WABC) -- Police in Deer Park, Long Island say they shot a man once after he threatened his father with a knife.
"The caller said that his 40-year-old son who has psychological issues and was not taking his medication had threatened to cut the fathers head off," said Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, of the Suffolk County Police Department.
That's what brought police to the apartment complex in Deer Park Wednesday morning.
"All the police men running that way, guys without uniforms even, and they had the bullet proof vests on, a lady with a bullet proof vest," said Maie Valma, a Deer Park resident.
"When police arrived they encountered a 40-year-old male outside of the apartment armed with a knife. A foot pursuit ensued throughout the apartment complex ending up within the apartment itself, and that's where the man was shot once in the chest by police," Fitzpatrick said.
It's unclear if the man lunged at police or threatened them with the knife.
No officers were injured.
"He's a good kid. He's handicapped. He doesn't know how to be bad. He knows how to throw out the garbage. He doesn't talk to anyone or nothing, unless you say hello to him," a neighbor said.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 24 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 56 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 28 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 17 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while...
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos