Long Island News
Deer Park man shot with knife shot by police
DEER PARK (WABC) -- Police in Deer Park, Long Island say they shot a man once after he threatened his father with a knife.
"The caller said that his 40-year-old son who has psychological issues and was not taking his medication had threatened to cut the fathers head off," said Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, of the Suffolk County Police Department.
That's what brought police to the apartment complex in Deer Park Wednesday morning.
"All the police men running that way, guys without uniforms even, and they had the bullet proof vests on, a lady with a bullet proof vest," said Maie Valma, a Deer Park resident.
"When police arrived they encountered a 40-year-old male outside of the apartment armed with a knife. A foot pursuit ensued throughout the apartment complex ending up within the apartment itself, and that's where the man was shot once in the chest by police," Fitzpatrick said.
It's unclear if the man lunged at police or threatened them with the knife.
No officers were injured.
"He's a good kid. He's handicapped. He doesn't know how to be bad. He knows how to throw out the garbage. He doesn't talk to anyone or nothing, unless you say hello to him," a neighbor said.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest 10 min ago
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
22 min ago