Long Island News
Carbon monoxide reported in Merrick school
MERRICK, L.I. (WABC) -- Some Merrick, Long Island elementary school students were treated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the building Thursday.
Black smoke puffed out of a boiler in a sixth grade class at Camp Avenue Elementary School just before 2 p.m., causing students to complain of nausea, headaches and dizziness.
911 was called and the school was evacuated. The fire department assessed the situation and determined it was safe for the children to re-enter the building. School was dismissed at the regular time.
14 children and one adult were taken to an area hospital for evaluation and treatment.
Northbound and southbound lanes of Merrick Avenue were closed between Camp Avenue and Little Whale Neck Avenue for police activity.
long island news, long island, carbon monoxide, merrick, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card 43 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 21 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos