Long Island News
Carbon monoxide reported in Merrick school
MERRICK, L.I. (WABC) -- Some Merrick, Long Island elementary school students were treated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the building Thursday.
Black smoke puffed out of a boiler in a sixth grade class at Camp Avenue Elementary School just before 2 p.m., causing students to complain of nausea, headaches and dizziness.
911 was called and the school was evacuated. The fire department assessed the situation and determined it was safe for the children to re-enter the building. School was dismissed at the regular time.
14 children and one adult were taken to an area hospital for evaluation and treatment.
Northbound and southbound lanes of Merrick Avenue were closed between Camp Avenue and Little Whale Neck Avenue for police activity.
long island news, long island, carbon monoxide, merrick, long island news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 52 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos