Long Island News
Former Freeport principal indicted on sex charges
FREEPORT, N.Y. (WABC) -- More charges were added on at the indictment of the former middle school principal who is accused of having sex with a teen.
John O'Mard had an unmistakable smile on his face as he was walked into court Tuesday afternoon.
The 45-year-old is the former principal of Freeport J.W. Dodd Middle School and he was arrested last April.
He was formally indicted Tuesday on charges that he had non-consensual sex with a 16-year-old boy he met online.
The suspect's father and mother are sticking by him.
"I love him very much, and he's a wonderful man," his parents said.
Prosecutors tacked on charges alleging that O'Mard lied to state education officials about his criminal past which include grand larceny some 20 years ago.
"Freeport knew it when they hired him, but when things went sour they weren't enthralled by him anymore they decided to being this to light," said Edward Jenks, O'Mard's attorney.
O'Mard was later released on $15,000 bond.
O'Mard had to turn in his passport. He's facing 14 years behind bars.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 39 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train 1 min ago
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents 21 min ago
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines