Long Island News
West Hempstead rabbi accused of sex abuse
WEST HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A rabbi is charged with sexually abusing a 10-year-old religion student in West Hempstead, Long Island.
56-year old Gary Lieberman of Far Rockaway is charged with two counts of sexual abuse. He has pleaded not guilty.
Lieberman was arraigned Friday, and was released on $100,000 bail.
He is due back in court Oct. 22nd and faces up to 14 years in prison if convicted.
Nassau County Police say the incident occurred in a learning resource room on the second floor of the Hebrew Academy of Nassau County, and additional inappropriate conduct occurred inside the restroom of the school.
Lieberman allegedly told the victim that if he tells anyone about this they would not believe him because he is a rabbi.
A school official notified police about the allegations this year.
Police say the alleged abuse occurred between November 2009 and May 2010. His employment as a religious teacher at the academy in West Hempstead was terminated in August 2010.
But police say he may have continued teaching at other private religious schools.
They're asking any other possible victims to notify the Nassau County Police Special Victims Squad at 516-573-4022.
long island news, long island, sex crime, rabbi, sex abuse, long island news
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 31 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 49 min ago
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera 7 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 38 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
31 min ago