Long Island News
Shirley fire that killed mom and three kids ruled accident
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- Investigators on Long Island have determined that the house fire that killed a woman and her three chldren was accidental.
The Suffolk County Police Arson Squad and Homicide Squad says the fire was started accidentally in the living room.
The Office of the Suffolk County Medical Examiner found the cause of the deaths was a combination of smoke inhalation and thermal burns.
Jennifer McCusker, 41, and her three children, Aidan Tarbell, 7, Ava Jane Mistretta, 2, and her twin brother, Brendan Mistretta, who all lived at the home, were transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where they were pronounced dead.
A neighbor saw flames at 16 Hollywood Drive and called 911 as her two sons attempted to enter the residence at 10:15 p.m. on October 11. The two men, one who is an EMT and one who is a volunteer firefighter, were unable to enter the residence due to smoke and heat.
long island news, long island, long island news
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks 20 min ago
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 50 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Majority of debris removed from explosion...
51 min ago
- Residents displaced by explosion search for...
52 min ago
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of...
50 min ago