Long Island News
North Merrick man charged with stealing ambulance
MERRICK (WABC) -- A man is under arrest on Long Island on charges of stealing an ambulance in Merrick and taking it for a three-mile joy ride.
Police say one of the clues pointing to the suspect, 46-year old Salvatore Brecciano, was a 12-pack of beer left sitting on the ground on the spot where the vehicle was taken.
Police say he had bought the beer with a debit card at a 7-11 store on Sunrise Highway in North Merrick Wednesday.
According to detectives, when he passed the Merrick Firehouse, he entered an ambulance that had the keys in the ignition.
Police say he put the beer down next to the ambulance and pulled away.
They discovered Brecciano had purchased beer at the 7-11 and tracked him down to his home on Friday, where they arrested him.
The ambulance keys were recovered in his car.
Police recovered the unoccupied ambulance later undamaged,
Brecciano is charged with second-degree larceny.
long island news, long island, merrick, theft, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent 7 min ago
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets 38 min ago
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win