Long Island News
Police arrest Long Island man after ambulance joy ride
MERRICK (WABC) -- A Long Island man faces charges that he stole an ambulance and took it for a three-mile joy ride.
Nassau police arrested Salvatore Brecciano, of North Merrick, on Friday.
Investigators say the 46-year-old took the ambulance from a firehouse in Merrick earlier this month. It belonged to the Merrick Fire Department. They keys were in the ignition.
Police tell Newsday that one of the clues pointing to the suspect was a 12-pack of beer left sitting on the ground on the spot where the vehicle was taken.
Investigators said it was purchased at a nearby 7-Eleven. They say Brecciano bought it there with a debit card.
The ambulance was recovered undamaged.
Brecciano was to be arraigned Saturday. It was unclear when he might get a lawyer.
long island news, nassau county news, long island, merrick, long island news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 25 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 27 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
25 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
27 min ago