Long Island News
East Setauket murder suspect in court in equestrian death
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- The former tenant accused of firing 11 shots through the window of a Long Island home, killing a popular equestrian and wounding the man's partner, appeared in court Wednesday.
Brett Knight pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, aggravated harassment and other charges in the unsealing of a six-count grand jury indictment.
The charges stem from the September 24 killing of Ross Reisner in East Setauket. Prosecutors say one of the bullets also grazed the forearm of Reisner's partner, Kevin Murray.
Knight, who was arrested October 10 in Tennessee by Suffolk County homicide detectives and U.S. marshals, had previously rented a basement apartment from the two men. Reisner and Murray filed a harassment complaint against Knight last month.
Prosecutors allege the suspect said he wanted to kill both men.
The 50-year-old Reisner was a fixture in Eastern Suffolk County's equestrian community.
Knight is being held without bail.
The shooting spurred a nationwide search for Knight, who had purchased a motorcycle and was said to be traveling throughout the country.
long island news, long island, east setauket, shooting, long island news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
5 min ago