Long Island News
Dina Lohan back in Long Island court on DWI charge; lawyer blames media
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- Dina Lohan, mother of troubled actress Lindsay Lohan, was back in court Wednesday to face a drunk driving charge.
The 50-year-old Lohan was pulled over for speeding and arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated on the Northern State Parkway on Long Island on September 12.
A breath test showed she had a blood-alcohol level that was more than double the state's legal limit of .08 percent.
Lohan's attorney on Wednesday blamed the media for her recent arrest after she appeared before a judge in Hempstead.
Reading from a report he said was written by a court appointed evaluator, attorney Mark Jay Heller cited stress as the reason for the incident.
"The circumstances leading to Dina's arrest were largely impacted by ongoing daily stresses caused by you folks, the paparazzi, media attention and distorted tabloid character profiles," Heller read from the report. "After meeting Dina and her family and witnessing the care, compassion and concern shared between family members, it is my hope that the courts will take the circumstances and challenges of Dina's lifestyle under consideration in prosecuting this case."
Lindsay Lohan brought her mother to court in Hempstead, where she appeared before a judge for a routine hearing on the drunk driving charge.
The judge had appointed the court evaluator to conduct a complete evaluation.
According to Heller, "the report said, concerning miss Lohan, there is no indication that Dina suffers from abuse or dependence. Her driving record is remarkably unblemished. Therefore, treatment is not being recommended."
Lohan was issued tickets for DWI and speeding in the incident. She pleaded not guilty last month and was released with a suspended license and without bail.
long island news, long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 50 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act