Long Island News
Long Beach boardwalk fully reopens after Superstorm Sandy
LONG BEACH (WABC) -- A Long Island community is marking a major milestone on the road to recovery from Superstorm Sandy Friday.
The people of Long Beach came together to celebrate their new boardwalk Friday afternoon.
But what they really celebrated was one another, their strength and their resilience, because the city, like its historic boardwalk, is back.
"They did a fantastic job, it came out great, Long Beach came back strong and it's really nice," said John Curcio, a Long Beach resident.
Last year, the Superstorm drove the Atlantic Ocean over the boardwalk and into the city. The devastation was, for many, unimaginable.
But city officials were determined to replace every plank, and rebuilt all 2.2 miles of it at a cost of roughly $40 million.
Although FEMA reimbursed 90% of it, Governor Cuomo said the State of New York would pay the rest.
"We told the people that Long Beach would be better than it was, Long Beach is better than it was, physically the boardwalk, the power stations, the homes, and as a community," Governor Andrew Cuomo said.
The city manager says it's built to last, and new dunes will help protect it from future storms.
"The boardwalk's at a 17-foot elevation and we'll have dunes up to a 15 and a half foot elevation, and they'll butt right up against the boardwalk and marry nicely together," said Jack Schnirman, the Long Beach City Manager.
It's all reassuring to Chris Spinner who wants the boardwalk there for his daughter and her generation.
"Without it, it just left a big hole in the town, so it's back now, and everyone is really excited," Spinner said.
long island news, long beach, superstorm sandy, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 34 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 31 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 28 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
10 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos