Long Island News
Eastport hit and run kills young mother
EASTPORT (WABC) -- On Sunday, flowers marked the spot where trouble ended in tragedy, and where a young woman was killed by a hit and run driver.
The accident happened at 9 on Saturday night in Eastport, Long Island on Montauk Highway near the intersection with Old Montauk Highway.
Eyewitness News is told 27-year-old Erika Strebel was driving her Jeep when it broke down. Police say she and a passenger, 26-year-old Ed Barton got out, and were standing near her vehicle when another car crashed into them, killing Erika and injuring her passenger before fleeing Eastbound on Montauk Highway.
Strebel's purse, a sneaker and a red hat were all left at the scene. A gas container was also left at the scene, perhaps a sign that they had run out of fuel.
Strebel's friend set up a Facebook page in her memory. According to the site, she leaves behind a 5-year-old son, AJ.
As for her passenger, he lives in East Moriches. Neighbors told Eyewitness News that he is a quiet and friendly presence on the block. Officials report he was flown to Stony Brook University Hospital with head and knee injuries.
The accident scene was just a short walk from Strebel's home. She was so close to the comfort and safety of her family, now her devastated loved ones must make arrangements for her funeral, and her young son's future without her mother.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Vehicular Crime Unit at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island news, long island, hit and run accident, long island news, lucy yang
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97