Long Island News
Eastport hit and run kills young mother
EASTPORT (WABC) -- On Sunday, flowers marked the spot where trouble ended in tragedy, and where a young woman was killed by a hit and run driver.
The accident happened at 9 on Saturday night in Eastport, Long Island on Montauk Highway near the intersection with Old Montauk Highway.
Eyewitness News is told 27-year-old Erika Strebel was driving her Jeep when it broke down. Police say she and a passenger, 26-year-old Ed Barton got out, and were standing near her vehicle when another car crashed into them, killing Erika and injuring her passenger before fleeing Eastbound on Montauk Highway.
Strebel's purse, a sneaker and a red hat were all left at the scene. A gas container was also left at the scene, perhaps a sign that they had run out of fuel.
Strebel's friend set up a Facebook page in her memory. According to the site, she leaves behind a 5-year-old son, AJ.
As for her passenger, he lives in East Moriches. Neighbors told Eyewitness News that he is a quiet and friendly presence on the block. Officials report he was flown to Stony Brook University Hospital with head and knee injuries.
The accident scene was just a short walk from Strebel's home. She was so close to the comfort and safety of her family, now her devastated loved ones must make arrangements for her funeral, and her young son's future without her mother.
Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Vehicular Crime Unit at 631-852-6555 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS.
long island news, long island, hit and run accident, long island news, lucy yang
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon? 55 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 52 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos